Research and Innovation Support
Senior Research Support Officer
(Fixed Term up to Two Years)
Dublin City University (www.dcu.ie) is a research-intensive, globally-engaged, dynamic institution that
is distinguished both by the quality and impact of its graduates and by its focus on the translation of
knowledge into societal and economic benefit. DCU prepares its students well for success in life, and
in the workplace, by providing a high-quality, rounded education appropriate to the challenges and
opportunities of the 21st century. DCU is Ireland's fastest growing university and its next phase of
major expansion involves strategic investments of more than €0.3bn, including a €0.2bn campus
Through its mission to transform lives and societies through education, research, innovation and
engagement, DCU acts as an agent of social, cultural and economic progress. With a strong
commitment to research excellence across its five faculties, the university is home to a broad range of
internationally-renowned research centres in specific areas of Science, Engineering, ICT, Humanities,
Social Sciences, Education and Business. As Ireland’s University of Enterprise, DCU is renowned for
its commitment to innovation and entrepreneurship and its proactive engagement with the enterprise
sector. It consistently leads the Irish university sector in terms of Intellectual Property (IP) licences and
contributes strongly to the national innovation ecosystem through DCU Ryan Academy for
Entrepreneurs and DCU Alpha (the university’s Innovation Campus).
In accordance with the University’s commitment to enhance the research environment and deliver on
the ambitious goals for socio-economic impact within its strategic plan, applications are sought for
suitably qualified and highly motivated individuals for the position of Senior Research Support Officer
based in Research and Innovation Support (RIS), within the Office of the Vice-President for Research
The Senior Research Support Officer will be responsible for providing a highly professional, proactive
and comprehensive research support function for the DCU research community as part of the wider
Research Support team.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Manager of Research Support Services, the Senior Research Support Officer will
support a range of activities within RIS that include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide professional and specialist advice to DCU academic and research staff on all aspects of
pre- award activity, post-award contract management, award set-up and funder reporting
- Actively disseminate information about research funding opportunities to the DCU research
community, and liaise with relevant external funding agencies.
- Organise and deliver information sessions and training workshops to promote and enhance DCU
- Liaise with and support relevant faculties, schools, research centres and staff in developing their
research funding strategies, identifying appropriate funding opportunities aligned to their research
priorities and interests.
- Provide advice on financial, legal, ethical, and intellectual property aspects of applications for
- Provide support for institutional strategic funding applications to external funding agencies.
- Maintain an excellent working knowledge of national and international developments in research
funding, and the priorities and needs of the DCU research community.
Research Management and Administration
- Professionally manage procedures for administering calls for external or internal research
funding, including tracking grant applications, awards and relevant reporting.
- Support the implementation of the DCU Research and Innovation Strategy and related strategies
- Assist in the collation of relevant information to support strategy and decision making, in
response to both internal and external requests
- Liaise with other central units as appropriate to ensure a coordinated approach to the provision of
research support services to the DCU research community.
- Represent RIS/the University on internal committees and working groups, and external bodies as
- Support the Manager of Research Support Services in the day to day operations of the office,
and in other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications & Experience
Applicants must hold a primary degree in a relevant area with 5 years relevant experience in a
research-intensive environment, he/she will ideally have a Post Graduate qualification at PhD level,
- Significant experience of University research support provision and a proven track record in
- Knowledge of national and international funding programmes, working knowledge of academic
structures and an appreciation of global trends in research funding and administration.
- Experience of research information systems, legal and ethical aspects of research contracts and
development of research policy would be a distinct advantage.
- Applicants should display a high level of initiative, with excellent interpersonal, oral and written
communication skills. The ability to function as part of a highly motivated team is essential.
Salary Scale: *€51,477 - €73,097
- Appointment will be commensurate with qualifications and experience and will be made on the
appropriate point of the salary scale, in line with current government pay policy
Closing Date: th15 May 2018
Informal Enquiries to: Fiona Brennan, Manager of Research Support Services, Research &
Innovation Support, Dublin City University, Dublin 9, Ireland
Please do not send applications to this email address, instead apply as described below.
Application forms are available from the DCU Current Vacancies (open Competitions) website at
http://www.dcu.ie/vacancies/current.shtml and also from the Human Resources Department, Dublin
City University, Dublin 9. Tel: +353 (0) 1 7005149.
Please clearly state the role that you are applying for in your application and email subject
line: Job Ref 874 Senior Research Support Officer, Research and Innovation Support
Applications should be submitted by email to email@example.com or by Fax: +353 (0)1 7005500 or
by post to the Human Resources Department, Dublin City University, Dublin 9.Human Resources
Department, Dublin City University, Dublin 9. Tel: +353 1 700 5149
Dublin City University is an equal opportunities employer